Sunday, September 16, 2012

The Very Hungry Caterpillar and an Egg Carton Caterpillar

IMG_7685_touch up

My friend Katelin has started reading a book and doing a craft once a week with her girls. She posts about what they do each week. I decided to join in on the fun this week. (Thanks for the fun idea Katelin!)

Hailey and I read the classic book, The Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric Carle. We then made our own caterpillar.

IMG_7652_touch up

I think he’s super cute. I even enjoyed this craft as much as Hailey! Want to make one too?

IMG_7690_touch up

We used:

  • pipecleaners
  • washable tempera paint
  • craft google eyes
  • egg carton
  • glue
  • paint brush
  • a painting surface (we didn’t have any newspaper, so I used a small cookie sheet I had bought at the dollar store)

I cut the bottom of the egg carton lengthwise and then flipped it over. This is the body. Then we painted.

painting collage

Hailey of course wanted to use a little of every color we had. Our caterpillar became a very colorful caterpillar. I thought it was fun- gives him some character.

After painting we glued on the eyes, and then gave him antennas and legs.

To make the antennas I used a knife and cut two small holes in the top of the head. I cut a pipe cleaner to the length we wanted and Hailey put the pieces through the holes. From the underneath, I rolled the pipe cleaners up so it wouldn’t pull out through the holes.

To make the legs I again used a knife and made small holes towards the bottom of the egg carton, on either side of it. We cut down more pipe cleaners and Hailey put them through the holes. From the underneath, I wrapped the pipe cleaner up around the edge of the egg carton to hold the legs in place.

IMG_7639_touch up

Tada! A very colorful caterpillar.

Hailey and Caterpillar 2-up

Maybe we should make a cocoon for him and in a couple weeks he’ll be a beautiful butterfly

Happy caterpillar making!

3 comments:

  1. Hey! We were going to do the Hungry Caterpillar and a craft at our place with a few friends last week, but it got postponed due to sick kids! Looks like you guys had a lot of fun doing it and it turned out super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay that's so fun that you did it!! Bryant's parents came to visit the end of last week and the beginning of the week I was super sick so Brooklyn did hers today, I'll get it posted tomorrow morning :( I hate that i'm late on my Sunday deadline but what can you do. This week we're going to do Dr. Seuss' There's a wocket in my pocket and draw our own little creatures and hide them around the house. Maybe daddy will have fun finding them :)
    Hailey is adorable! I wish she, Brooklyn and Avery could play! I love her colorful caterpillar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish we lived closer so we could craft together. Boo. Hey, I'm featuring this at my link party tonight :)

    Kathryn
    destinationcraft.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...