Friday, October 3, 2014

Thirty.


This is what 30 looks like. Not so bad, right? (For my sake, just say yes.)

Today I am thirty. Sheesh... sounds so old. I know it really isn't, but it feels so momentous to me. The loss of my 20's, my youth, fun... Ok, maybe not fun. That's a bit dramatic. But I do feel like it is an official entrance into being a "grown up". Not that being a college graduate, being married, having 2 children and owning a home didn't categorize me into being grown up. But I feel like 30 really seals the deal.

I have been dreading this birthday since my last birthday. 29 was a little hard to swallow, that meant 30 was just around the corner! Now 30 is here and it's a little terrifying. Though my good friend Brittney turned 30 last month and has reassured me that it isn't so scary. She's still ok. :)

To celebrate, since this is the one day of the year that can totally completely be all about me (and the BYU vs, Utah State football game tonight...) how about a post just about me? 30 facts about Renae.


1. I was born in American Fork, Utah, 30 years ago to the day.
2. I am the oldest of 3 children, with one brother and one sister.
3. I have lived in a total of 5 states: Utah, Illinois, Florida, Washington, and Texas.
4. Of those 5 states I have lived in Utah the longest. The current count is 11 years (with a brief summer in Washington and another summer in Texas).
5. I currently live in Farmington, Utah and have been for 2 years- the longest Kyle and I have lived at one address since being married (and even since we both graduated high school 11 years ago).


6. I stay home all day with 2 adorable little girls and love it.
7. Babies and children intimidate me. I never liked babysitting as a teenager. When my cousin Angie with her brand new baby offered her baby for me to hold I responded with "I don't DO babies." Before Hailey was born I was afraid I wouldn't have any sort of motherly instincts. We've made it through almost 5 years, we're doing pretty good. I have mostly gotten over my fear.


8. In high school I dreamt of being an interior designer and even considered graphic design. My best friend Julie and I would watch episode after episode of Trading Spaces on TLC together. We were going to be interior designers together.
9. I took an interior design class at BYU and was BORED. Nevermind that.
10. Instead, I have a bachelor's degree in Audiology and Speech Language Pathology from BYU. I chose to pursue a career as a speech therapist.

First day of kindergarten. Just a stepping stone to a college graduation.

11. I was accepted to graduate school at the University of Utah and went to classes for the first week. And then I dropped out. The timing just wasn't right. I still have the student ID card as proof.
12. I speak Spanish. Not as much as I would like. But I can understand enough and hold my own. Languages seem to come relatively easily to me. I took 4 years in high school and a class about every other semester while at BYU.
13. After interior design I almost majored in Linguistics. I still find languages fascinating. Is that nerdy?
14. I was one class away from a minor in Linguistics. I took a Spanish class instead. A minor doesn't really do anything for you right? Except maybe make you look a little smarter?

Jennifer and I. For the record, it was harder than it should have been to find a decent picture of the two of us. We took so many ridiculous (but fun at the time) pictures in college!

15. One semester I did a small paper on some of the language aspects of Swahili. For the paper I checked out a phrase book from the library. My roommate Jennifer and I attempted to teach ourselves Swahili. Nyoka ana kichwa ndogo. Translation: A snake has a small head. That's about all we learned.
16. My first job was a physical therapy aide. I was a senior in high school. I loved it. In fact, it is what led me to Speech Pathology. The idea of mixing language with a healthcare service career seemed to fit.
17. My second job was working in the copy center on campus at BYU. I was a freshman. And my roommate Jennifer and I were dumb enough to apply for the same job which had just 2 openings. Luckily we both were offered jobs and it was awesome. I worked there until I graduated.
18. That job began my 7 year occupation in copy centers. I worked one summer for FedEx Office, after graduating I spent 6 months at Staples in the copy center (and really, really didn't like it) and then as luck (or just fate) would have it I was offered a job back at BYU working 3/4 time (and eventually full-time) in the copy center.
19. Pretty nerdy, but the copy center opened the door for me to learn aspects of document set up and design I may never have picked up. I was introduced to InDesign, taught myself Photoshop, and then Kyle has tutored me a bit in Illustrator.


20. I began sewing after I stopped working. I sewed some growing up, so I knew the basics. Once Hailey came around and I was home during the day a whole new world opened up to me.
21. I like to do things my own way, be a little different. Which almost always ends up being more complicated and time consuming. But, who wants to be just like everyone else?


23. I have a bit of a love affair with peanut butter and chocolate. So hard to resist...
24. It's also nearly impossible for me to ignore an open bag of chips. So addicting. When I have them I love to put chips on my sandwiches. Any kind of chip, any kind of sandwich (except PB & J). When chips aren't an option I go for anything else with a salty crunch, crackers, pretzels... I'm also a french fries on the hamburger kind of girl.
25. I absolutely can not handle chewing ice. Even just the thought of it gives me chills. I have goosebumps right now. Seriously. Kyle of course thinks it's funny and bites his popsicle right in front of me. Shiver.


26. I hate sweat. It's not really my sweat, it's other people's sweat. So gross. In high school my brother would chase me around the house with his sweaty basketball jersey or nasty lawn mowing socks and wipe it all over me. Kyle does the same. Any sweaty bike ride nearly always requires cornering me for a sweaty hug. Of course he has to swipe his head across mine, because that's not disgusting.


27. I was a bit gullible and maybe a little bit ditsy as a 14 year old. Comon' I was a 14 year old girl, aren't we all that way a little bit? While driving through yellowstone I announced that I thought I had seen a white kangaroo in the woods while trying to spot a bear. I still am teased for it to this day. I also told my brother he was a fox. I meant it as an insult- he's a wild animal. Fox was not the best animal of choice. He is still known as Curtis the Fox.
28. The longest plane flight I have been on is just 3 hours (Salt Lake City to Austin, Texas). Any flight with first class on it (even just a couple of rows) is a large flight to me.


29. I play the piano, but have terrible rhythm. I love to play, but am no natural. I'm comfortable enough to play in church or for the choir. But I tend to play at my own pace, which is usually fast.
30. I am a serious weenie pants. I don't like roller coasters, I refuse to go sky diving. I get car sick easily. I hate that stomach drop feeling when you fall from somewhere high (like cliff jumping or on a rollercoaster). Since moving to Utah I have acquired a fear of being eaten by a bear. I really am a huge worrier and over think EVERYTHING.

And... I'm 30.

5 comments:

  1. HAPPY BIRTHDAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and yes that's 30 !'s We hope you have a FANTASTIC day and are so blessed to have you part of our family! Love you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still remember that Swahili phrase although I'm sure I can't pronounce it correctly!

    Happy 30th!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loooved this! Happy Happy Birthday!!! I feel the same way about turning 30 here in just a few short months. I keep reminding myself that it's just an extension of my late 20's... nothing is really going to change, right? :) I loved reading all about you. I'm the oldest of three kids too, one brother and one sister. I wish I had a knack for linguistics. And other people's sweat is totally gross. Happy Birthday. I hope it was a wonderful day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. #7 is still one my favorite family stories. :) Happy happy birthday! Love you cousin!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are awesome - what a great idea for a birthday post!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...